This policy describes how we collect, store, use and protect personal information.
One Source is a consumer reporting agency. It is required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. §1681 et seq. (“FCRA”) to maintain the confidentiality of all consumer information.
One Source obtains information for the purposes of background screening on an individual consumer only upon the request of a user who has a permissible purpose under the FCRA to request information on that consumer. In cases of employment as a permissible purpose, the FCRA requires a user to certify to One Source that it has obtained the written consent of the consumer to request information before One Source can supply the requested information.. The user must submit to reasonable audits by One Source to confirm that it is, in fact, obtaining such consents.
One Source does not maintain a commercial database of consumer information for the purposes of background screening.
Any information gathered on any consumer may only be provided to the end user authorized by the consumer to receive the information. One Source does not share, sell or distribute consumer information with or to any third party other than the requesting party thereof. Any consumer, upon proper identification, has the right under the FCRA to request One Source to furnish to the consumer any and all information it may have on that consumer. The consumer has the right to dispute the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in the consumer’s report or file. The consumer’s rights under the FCRA may be obtained by contacting us or going to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website at: http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201504_cfpb_summary_your-rights-under-fcra.pdf.
However, One Source may be required, upon receipt of a court order to release the information in civil litigation or as otherwise required by law, to disclose information regarding a consumer to law enforcement agencies.
Other privacy initiatives and procedures include, but are not limited to:
- Access to confidential consumer information is limited within One Source to those who have a need to know the information:
- those obtaining and transmitting information on the consumer,
- those dealing with a consumer request for information,
- and those handling consumer disputes.
- Access to One Source’s computer terminals, file cabinets, fax machines, trash bins, desktops, etc. are secure from unauthorized access.
- One Source maintains a secure network to safeguard consumer information from internal and external threat.
- Any backup data is maintained in an encrypted form.
- One Source maintains records of each individual submitting a new report request on a consumer.
- One Source identifies each end user who is requesting information on a consumer. End users are verified as an authorized user prior to One Source releasing any consumer information.
- Employees are prohibited from “browsing” files or databases without a business justification.
- Destruction of consumer information follows the Federal Trade Commission’s requirements that the information be unreadable upon disposal.
Personal Information Disclosure: United States or Overseas
One Source The Background Check Company does not transfer information to third parties outside the United States or its territories unless such transfer is necessary to provide services. An example would be completion of a background check requiring a report from a country other than the U.S.A.
All questions and concerns regarding this privacy statement should be directed to us at:
One Source The Background Check Company
Compliance and Privacy Division – Attn: Jill DeJong
PO Box 24148
Omaha, NE 68124
How we use the personal information we collect
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. Personal Information such as date of birth and social security number is never shared unless required to verify a record and then is only shared once the vendor has been fully vetted. We may use your personal information to:
- provide the services and customer support you request;
- process requests and send notices about your requests;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement;
- customize, measure, and improve our services and the content and layout of our website;
- send you targeted marketing, service update notices, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
The only cookies in use on our site are for Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a web analytics tool that helps website owners understand how visitors engage with their website. Google Analytics customers can view a variety of reports about how visitors interact with their website so that they can improve it.
Like many services, Google Analytics uses first-party cookies to track visitor interactions as in our case, where they are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We then use the information to compile reports and to help us improve our site.
Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. These cookies are used to store information, such as the time that the current visit occurred, whether the visitor has been to the site before and what site referred the visitor to the web page.
We may collect information about your computer, including your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and in order to create reports. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Google Analytics collects information anonymously. It reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our site – for more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page.
How we update or effect changes to this policy
 There is an exception for employer investigations of suspected employee misconduct or for compliance with law or employer policies, e.g., sexual harassment investigations.